An all-new writing contest sponsored by two great online resources for writers: Editor Unleashed and Smashwords!
You help choose the $500 Grand Prize winner.
No entry fee!
• Post Your Entry on the Forum: Monday, November 9 – Thursday, December 31
• Popular Ranking: Monday, January 4 – Friday, January 29
• Winners Announced: Monday, February 1
How to Enter:
• Writers post their essays of 750 words or fewer on the Editor Unleashed forum. Contestants must be registered members of the forum to enter. (Membership is free. Only one entry per writer please.)
You Help Choose the Winners:
• All members of the Editor Unleashed forum will be eligible to rank entries. The popular vote will help decide the winners!
• With consideration to popular ranking, the Grand Prize winner will be chosen by Maria Schneider of Editor Unleashed.
Prizes and Promotions:
• The Grand Prize winner will receive a $500 cash prize (courtesy of Smashwords) and will be interviewed and promoted on the Editor Unleashed and Smashwords blogs. The Grand Prize winning essay will appear first in The “Why I Write” anthology.
• 50 writers will have their essays included in The “Why I Write” anthology published via Smashwords as a free ebook. Once published at Smashwords, the anthology will also be available in other online bookstores that distribute Smashwords ebooks, including Stanza, the ebook reading app used by over 1.5 million iPhone and iPod Touch users to read ebooks and the Sony Reader.
• Entrants grant Editor Unleashed and Smashwords non-exclusive digital rights to publish their essay in a digital anthology available on Smashwords and in online bookstores and websites that distribute Smashwords books. You keep full rights to your essay.
• All 50 essays will be promoted by Editor Unleashed and Smashwords.
Let us help you promote your writing!
Questions or comments? Post them here in the comments.
For updates via Twitter follow mariaschneider and markcoker and subscribe to this blog here.
About Editor Unleashed
Editor Unleashed has become a premiere online resource for writers of all genres. The site features timely interviews with publishing industry insiders, helpful articles on the craft and business of writing, and a vibrant online writers’ forum. Editor Unleashed founder and editor Maria Schneider is the former editor in chief of Writer’s Digest magazine who has overseen and judged dozens of popular writing competitions. Editor Unleashed was recently chosen as one of the Writer’s Digest 101 Best Websites for Writers.
Smashwords is a popular ebook publishing platform and online bookstore for indie authors. Authors upload their manuscript as a Microsoft Word document to Smashwords which then instantly converts it into nine ebook formats, ready for immediate sale online at a price set by the author. The Smashwords service is completely free. Authors earn royalties of up to 85 percent of the net selling price (net=[price set by author minus PayPal fee]*.85). Smashwords ebooks are also distributed within the native ebook catalog of Stanza, the #1 ebook reading app on the iPhone and iPod Touch. Learn more about Smashwords by reading this interview with Smashwords founder Mark Coker or by visiting Smashwords.