10 Great (Free!) Online Resources for Writers

These are hard times economically speaking, of course.

But here’s where I think writers finally have the upper-hand: We’re used to being poor! The rest of the world could learn a thing or two from us.

On that note, I’ve compiled a list of 10 great (free!) resources on the Web for writers. It was hard to narrow it down, but here are 10 of my favorites:

The Merriam Webster Dictionary is a must-bookmark for every writer. There’s even a thesaurus and a helpful Spanish-English dictionary.

The Elements of Style by William Strunk, Jr., a classic guide to writing that every writer should read at least once, is now available free online.

Duotrope’s Digest provides a free, searchable database of market listings for poets and fiction writers.

• Find a Literary Agent via the AAR searchable databse.

The Guide to Literary Agents blog is another good resource for getting the lowdown on agents.

• Free blog software and hosting services are available at WordPress.com. Have I mentioned already how much I love WordPress?

• Go directly to the U.S. Copyright Office for answers to all of your copyright questions and concerns.

Writer Beware is another site every writer should have bookmarked. They fearlessly track the scams in the literary world.

• For a great database of FAQ writers questions—grammar, ethics, rights issues, whatever—go to Brian A. Klems Questions & Quandaries blog. He addresses writers questions weekly so if you can’t find the answers you’re looking for, ask Brian!

Please add your favorite (free!) online resources for writers here in the comments. Or you can discuss on the Editor Unleashed forum.

-Maria Schneider

Allow me to add a bonus online resource:  The all-new Editor Unleashed forum is open to all writers for chatting, resources, and peer critiques. Join this growing community—it’s entirely free. Register between now and November 30 and you’re automatically entered into a drawing to win a free manuscript critique!

1 COMMENT

1. Jon Strother 10.23.08 at 9:45 am

You must be psychic.

“• Shaw Guides provides a handy, searchable index to find writers conferences and workshops.”

Just last night I was searching for writer conferences in Missouri.

Today, I have the needed link! Thanks.
    ~jon
    DavidG 10.23.08 at 9:09 pm

Thanks for the links. I’ve gathered many writing related bookmarks and use them all the time. I use stumble upon to find a lot of useful sites.-DavdiG
    Lori 10.24.08 at 8:09 am

I use the Library of Congress site a lot when writing articles requiring updates on legislation. http://thomas.loc.gov/

If you’re looking for new markets for your work, you have to bookmark erelease’s site. http://www.ereleases.com/lists/

Another one I particularly like is the Area Code Listing by Number site (and I use it often) at http://www.bennetyee.org/ucsd-pages/area.html

Also, I LOVE Clear English because it give you multiple options for dictionaries, plus grammar and writing links. http://www.clearenglish.net/resources.php
    glecharles 10.24.08 at 10:09 am

NewPages.com and its blog, http://newpagesblog.blogspot.com/, belong on every writer’s list on invalubale free resources.
    Cheryl Barker 10.24.08 at 10:12 am

Maria, thanks for the helpful links!

I love the free newsletters offered on C. Hope Clark’s Funds for Writers site at http://www.fundsforwriters.com/ . Lots of great info and opportunities for writers.
    Hope 10.27.08 at 1:13 am

Fantastic links, thank you!

I hope you don’t mind that I’ve stalked you from the Writer’s Perspective…
    Jon Strother 10.27.08 at 9:53 pm

There are several databases that are very useful when doing research for writing. Unfortunately, most of them are paid subscription services. But check your local library. You may have free online access to many valuable research databases such as ProQuest, INFOTRAC, and EBSCO Host. Another good source I’ve found for research is EurekAlert. It is free, and a great source for doing science research for both science articles and science fiction stories.
    ~jon
    Roger C. Parker 10.29.08 at 5:24 pm

I can’t believe that the Elements of Style is available for free online! Amazing. What a service you have provided by pointing this out.
    Thank you.
    Roger C. Parker 11.07.08 at 5:53 pm

During my expert interview Wednesday night, one of a series of weekly author and marketing interviews, I conduct, the guest mentioned the importance of using online timers, such as the one available at http://www.online-stopwatch.com/.

You can use it as a timer or a stopwatch. The guest said he gets so much more done by giving himself a time limit, and focusing on one project at a time until either it’s finished, or the time is up.

A great procrastination-buster!
    Justin Brooke 02.11.09 at 5:37 am

Thanks for the links. These links can be helpful for our writers so that they can delivery only the best contents.
    Trevor Brown 11.08.09 at 3:56 am

I am a publsher and I am looking for non-fiction submissions that will make a difference – see

http://fabooks.wordpress.com/ for my thoughts on this